What is Einkorn?
Einkorn – A Wheat Alternative
When we chose to create health and follow the recommendations of our nutritionist around 33 years ago, he recommended getting off of wheat, sugar, dairy, and many other common foods.
I had grown up on a wheat farm and was a gourmet cook and pasta maker! That elimination of wheat seemed dramatic! Over the years we experimented with other ancient grains such as spelt, kamut and a few others. We did sort of “ok”… but we did find that they led to weight gain and they still left many of our clients with health challenges.
Several years ago, we were introduced to einkorn as another grain option, but had no education or understanding of it – so it sat in the pantry! Fast forward to about 18 months ago: Forest discovered sourdough PLUS einkorn and Carla Bartolucci’s cookbook using einkorn flour! We discovered we could do sourdough bread made with einkorn flour and still feel great with no weight gain!
I began to test clients on einkorn versus wheat, spelt, rye and other grains. I was surprised at how many people did well on einkorn but not on any of the other grains (especially blood type O’s).
We have loved being able to regularly enjoy old favorites like, pancakes, waffles, bread, muffins and biscuits again!
Several years ago Carla Bartolucci, an American food distributor living in Italy, became suspicious that her daughter Giulia’s health problems were related to gluten intolerance. Having read about einkorn while researching gluten in different wheats, Bartolucci began experimenting at home by cooking and baking with einkorn flour, which was difficult to source at the time.
Bartolucci noticed that Giulia’s symptoms seemed to disappear when they were eating foods made with einkorn flour and reappear when they switched back to common wheat flour.
While not a peer-reviewed clinical trial, it was enough for Bartolucci. She talks about her conversion to einkorn flour in her new cookbook, Einkorn: Recipes for Nature’s Original Wheat, which features recipes for einkorn-based brownies, Korean dumplings, and hotdog buns, among other things. She and her husband, Rodolfo, also started Jovial Foods, a company that sells einkorn flour alongside einkorn chocolate cookies, einkorn rigatoni, and rosemary sourdough einkorn crackers.
Because the flour was so difficult to source, they have had to contract with farmers to grow it for them. Jovial Foods said that, in 2015, their farmers planted over 3,000 acres, making them the world’s largest einkorn producer. That number has grown every year as this ancient grain continues to grow in popularity.
10 FAST Facts About Jovial Einkorn:
- Einkorn is the only wheat never hybridized and has only two sets of chromosomes. This genetic difference sets it apart for all other varieties of wheat.
- It’s grown organically and tested for glyphosate.
- Its weak gluten structure makes it easier to digest.
- It lacks the gluten proteins that trigger symptoms of gluten sensitivity.
- It is higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than modern wheat.
- It is richer in carotenoids, B vitamins, and essential and trace minerals than modern wheat.
- It tastes great with a nutty flavor, silky texture, and a buttery yellow color.
- Bakes flavorful cakes, muffins, cookies, and scones.
- It is not bleached, bromated, or enriched.
- Supporting einkorn preserves precious biodiversity.
Ancient Grains Are More Nutritious:
- In the 1940s, wheat was chosen as the crop to feed the growing population.
- Plant breeders created new varieties of wheat for increased yields.
- Wheat was dwarfed with cobalt radiation.
- Crops altered for maximum production lack nutrients—quantity at the expense of quality.
- Einkorn takes us back to what wheat was intended to be!
To shop the Jovial products, go to www.JovialFoods.com
They are a great company who is committed to excellence and great products. We personally use their einkorn flour and einkorn berries.
Thousands of people from around the world have worked with Cheryl Townsley as a Naturopath, Wisdom Coach and Home Economist, through her Lifestyle for Health Wellness Clinic. The most common feedback is, “Cheryl is so practical, she just makes sense. I can and want to do this!”
© Lifestyle for Health, Inc; All rights reserved 2020.
Widget not in any sidebars